UK Data Engineer (Consultant)
As an integral member of Biztory’s consulting team, your focus will be on ensuring Biztory’s clients and their projects are delivered to successful completion through effective stakeholder management and sound technical execution.
You will be a technical expert in some of our partner technologies (Fivetran, dbt, Snowflake, Tableau, ThoughtSpot) and have a proven track record of working with these tools and other similar technologies in industry to bring about tangible change and results. Your experience of data engineering, landing raw data into environments and applying data modelling best practice (Kimball, Data Vault etc) will set our clients analytics ambitions up for success and allow Biztory to offer full-stack services from data source to front end application. Your experience working with leading cloud technologies will also mean you understand their limitations and therefore know when to make pragmatic workarounds and alternatives that can still deliver results for Biztory and our clients alike.
As a Data Engineer you will take up a key position within the Biztory team as it continues to develop and grow its capabilities in the ‘Modern Data Stack’ and the engineering disciplines before the BI and analytics layer. As an experienced engineer it is expected that you will offer the appropriate professional advice to others in the team and be willing to offer your professional leadership within client projects and in the wider business. That knowledge sharing will not be limited to the UK business, but will extend to all Biztory entities, as you become a contributor to the collective ‘Hive-Mind’, through our collaboration tools (Slack).
Your experience will mean you are a key asset on ‘pre-sales’ calls as you help translate clients’ business requirements into technical project plans. You will work with your commercial colleagues to then articulate those plans into compelling options for our clients, which in turn will lead to revenue generation for Biztory. As you then work on or are exposed to client engagements/ projects, you would also be actively looking for other areas we can support the client and to ensure continued effective partnerships.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead effective client engagements with sound technical and non-technical skills deployment
- Be knowledgeable and up to date with the technologies and methodologies in the wider Data & Analytics industry, as well as being a specialist on those within the Data Engineering domain
- Regularly participate in pre-sales activity with commercial colleagues, helping to shape Engineering involvement on projects and ultimately generate revenue for Biztory
- Capture and translate business requirements from client stakeholders and turn them into actionable project plans and deliverables
- Scope and deliver engagements with clarity and a solution-driven attitude.
- Build a “trusted advisor” relationship with your clients
- Have relevant industry experience with key partner technologies (Tableau, Snowflake, dbt, Fivetran, ThoughtSpot)
- Advanced knowledge of data engineering, analyticals engineering or data science
- Experience designing and implementing data lakes and/ or data warehouses
- Experience designing and implementing robust data pipelines to deliver data into environments
- Experience in data modelling best practice and design (experience in Data Vault 2.0 an advantage)
- Experience managing resources in cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP etc)
- Strong understanding of ETL and ELT principles
- Technical expertise and knowledge in querying languages such as SQL, Python, R
- A passion for all things data and a strong analytical mind
- A track record of delivering analytics/ engineering projects on time and to scope
- A vision for Data Engineering and how recent trends and innovations will impact that domain in the future
- Critical thinking to know when to listen, when to push back and when to guide.
- Consulting skills, whiteboarding and presentation for technical and business audiences from analyst to executive level
- An opportunity to contribute to the next phase of our Engineering practice
- A place amongst a team of committed and passionate data people
- Competitive salary
- Remote-first working
- Personal travel budget for collaborating with colleagues
- Personal education budget to fund professional development
- Private Medical Insurance
- 30 days holiday
- Paid access to a Mental Health/ Wellbeing App