Please read the Job Description before applying.
The Technical Editor should look into the quality of the book in terms of content accuracy and validity, audience, pedagogy, mechanics, formatting, consistency, and code. In a nutshell, the Technical Editor functions as both a reader advocate and an author coach. He or she should make sure that the information is accessible to the intended audience and should ensure that the code functions as expected.
Packt is a global, technical learning publisher with a turnover of 18m and over 400 employees based across the globe, primarily in India and the UK. Principally serving B2C customers across the world, its major clients also include Microsoft, IBM, and Oracle.
We are a leading publisher of technical learning content with the ability to publish content on new and emerging tech faster than any other publisher in the world. Our mission is to increase the shared value of deep tech knowledge. We are tech content engineers, and we work with some of the most interesting technical minds and ground-breaking creators on the planet. For more details, see www.packt.com
Academic Qualification: Graduate/post graduate in the stream of IT/Computer Science/Computer Applications
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Check the code given in the book. Step through all the processes that the author(s) discuss in the chapter in the same order. Confirm that you are able to duplicate all the instructions given by the author(s) without any problems or errors. Flag any issue that occurs and bring it to the notice of the Development Editor and the author.
- When editing a book, ensure that the author presents the material in a way that benefits the reader.
- Ensure that all the chapters in the book clearly communicate their goals to the reader.
- Ensure consistent approach to material in all areas of the manuscript.
- Verify that content coverage is thorough and balanced and ensure technical accuracy and validity of the content.
- Use valuable resources to make a determination about the content yourself.
- If any part of the text isnt clear, query the author. It may be that the reader will understand the reference, and the author will tell you so if that is the case. However, the author may be leaving out important information.
- Check and verify all facts, references and illustrations for accuracy and ensure it matches the text and is appropriate.
- Ensure that every text and non-text element is correct.
- Edit the content for formatting and consistency as per Packt brand guidelines
- Research skills
- Good computer programming language knowledge
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office and any PDF reader
- Good communication skills
- Titles Published – As per team target
- Code Testing % – 100%
- Sampling – TE Sampling scores / checklist to be decided based on changes in tasks
- Errata – Score to be calculated based on Errata/1000 Published pages
- Amazon Rating – Average score on Amazon ratings
Why work at Packt?
We recognize how important our people are and acknowledge and support the things that are important to them. We focus on the full team member’s experience. We aim to create a positive working environment that supports personal and collective development where our people can not only grow their skill sets, continuously challenge themselves, and develop their careers, but also work together as a team and with our customers.
We try to achieve this by:
- Ensuring a positive working environment for all team members, supportive of flexible and remote work.
- Supporting individual development through growth opportunities and internal mobility.
- Encouraging social collaboration within teams and communities and knowledge-sharing.
- Fostering a culture that supports a healthy work-life balance.
We seek to achieve this by:
- Providing a broad range of benefits and initiatives.
- Advocating a healthy lifestyle where wellbeing is seen as an essential responsibility.
- Celebrating success stories and encouraging peer-to-peer recognition.
- Fostering a culture of self-development.
- Providing a work environment where the best idea wins, and challenge is encouraged.
You will also have access to a range of flexible benefits that are designed to help you make the most of your time with us.
- Bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Flexible hours: choose how, when and where you work
Salary Range – INR 22-38K Gross per month