Senior Software Engineer
Harvest is an industry-leading software company building tools that help businesses thrive. We believe companies succeed by using their time intentionally, and our products support our customers by helping them plan, track, and understand their teams’ time.
Harvest was created in 2006 by two small business owners who were looking for a way to manage and grow their web design agency in New York City. What started as a solution for their own company has since evolved into a business intelligence platform embraced by thousands of professional services firms across the world who share the same drive to grow thriving, sustainable businesses.
Harvest is an independent, profitable company. We don’t have investors, shareholders, or a board of directors. Instead, our main drive is to serve the needs of our customers, so we put them at the forefront of every decision we make.
All of this is made possible by the incredible Harvest team. Our small but mighty workforce sits across 9 countries and 11 time zones, resulting in a rich working environment where diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and opinions inform every discussion and decision. We value self-discipline, scrappiness and a genuine curiosity to learn from one another. Motivated by excellence and collaboration, our people are the engine that fuels our success.
The Harvest Engineering organization consists of two groups, Product Engineering and Platform Engineering. Within the Product Engineering group there are several squads dedicated to specific tracks of work that span our Mobile, Web, and Desktop applications, APIs, and Integrations.
We work cross functionally with other Engineering squads as well as Product, Marketing, and Support to deliver the best possible solutions for our customers.
Why We’re Hiring
Our Software Engineering squads are focused on a variety of high impact work that is aimed at delivering a best in class, multi-device experience and a large set of available integrations and features that allow our customers to get the most out of tracking their time while seamlessly blending into their workflows.
Currently, our Product Engineering group is growing and we’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join us at Harvest.
What you’ll do
As a Senior Software Engineer at Harvest, you’ll be working with a team of honest and respectful engineers who value giving and receiving feedback and trust that they can count on each other. We’ll be looking to you to help mentor and sponsor teammates, guide our efforts to design, build, and maintain backend services, create performant solutions, and extend the functionality of our product to help better serve our customers.
- Build web and native applications that delight our customers.
- Write and provide feedback on RFCs, create and maintain reliable code, and proactively look for opportunities to improve our development processes.
- Be a great teammate by helping improve our code quality through initiating engineering discussions, contributing and soliciting ideas, performing code reviews, and mentoring and sponsoring your team members.
- Lead cross-functional team projects to create work you’re proud of, better understand our customers’ needs, formulate use cases, and translate those into solutions.
- Come up with solid technical solutions to ambiguous or open-ended problems. Work autonomously and proactively to gather input from cross-functional team members throughout your projects to shape your approach to solutions.
- Create solutions with a focus on security, reliability, scalability, and maintainability and understand the tradeoffs between these requirements.
- Use metrics, data, and customer feedback to improve application performance.
- Work with a diverse, remote-first team of kind humans that span the globe.
What You’ll Bring
- You enjoy learning and view mistakes as opportunities for growth and can work outside your comfort zone
- You have a strong interest in learning new technologies, building prototypes, and experimenting, and look for opportunities to spread knowledge
- You’re self-driven, have a great eye for identifying opportunities to improve code, and can lead projects with multiple squad members with minimal guidance
- You make trade-offs transparent and explicit when making judgments and decisions
- You believe feedback is a gift, seek it out, and act on it
- You have experience with both Back End and Front End Engineering
- You have experience working with both REST and GraphQL based APIs
- You’ve influenced products, systems, and processes by proposing solutions and have positively impacted the culture of engineering teams
- You’ve worked with cross-functional squads to lead complex projects and are comfortable breaking down large projects into smaller tasks, explaining the work in both technical and non-technical terms, and negotiating the scope of work with your squad
- You’re familiar with monoliths and service-oriented architecture and understand the pitfalls, benefits, and tradeoffs of each approach
- You understand the difference between mentorship and sponsorship, and have developed a habit of the latter
At Harvest, our compensation consists of three main components:
1. A competitive base pay
The salary for this role is $189,500 in USD. Every Harvester with the same role expectations receives the same base pay, and we aim to pay at the top of the market (informed by third-party data) for all roles.
2. Individual and company performance bonus plans
We believe in rewarding performance, and Harvesters are eligible to receive an individual and company performance bonus
3. Competitive benefits*
We offer a number of benefits, including:
- 15 days of vacation in your first year, plus company holidays and a week off for winter break; and you’ll get an additional two days per year until you reach 20 days
- 100% coverage of health insurance premiums across our medical, dental, and vision plan offerings for you, your spouse, and your dependents
- A yearly budget for your professional learning and development goals
- A 401k plan with a 6% company match after three months with the company
- 16 weeks of paid family leave to all new parents with the option to use it all at once or throughout the baby’s first year, as well as a virtual platform providing support across fertility, pregnancy, adoption, and through your first year of parenting
- A charitable giving matching program to support your contributions to your favorite charitable organizations
- And much more
* Some of the benefits described are only available to US-based Harvesters. Benefits information for non-US-based Harvesters will be provided to individuals who interview for those roles.
Please submit your resume and an optional cover letter.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request accommodation as part of the application or recruiting process, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.