Senior Lead Programmer
Saltwater Games is a creative alliance of studios dedicated to delivering unparalleled entertainment experiences that ignite the imagination of our audiences. Our passionate teams of creative professionals consist of industry veterans from renowned studios such as PlayStation, Codemasters, Sumo Digital, Interior Night and Mediatonic who are working on some exciting VR, multiplayer and mobile titles. At SWG we follow some key values:
- We are optimistic & brave
- We are honest & open
- We take ownership & responsibility
We are actively looking for a skilled engineer to join our team to work on our current and very exciting upcoming projects.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on absolutely every part of the game and its development process. From feature work to helping improve tools and pipelines, optimisation work or integration of 3rd party systems, you will have the chance to position your skills in a way that works best for the team and the needs of the project.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is proactive and to get involved in the full project lifecycle.
Overseeing the engineering team, you will report directly to the Technical Director and will collaborate with various disciplines across the projects. Although the majority of our team are generalists, at Saltwater Games we like “T-shaped people” with a broad knowledge of many topics, and deep knowledge of several domains..
Rather than obsessing over on-paper expertise, we are strongly invested in hiring the right person for the team and the company. We would love to find somebody who is well-rounded, self-managing, can work with other departments effectively and has a proactive attitude.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As part of the Lead development team, your role will involve collaborating closely with Production, Design, Animation, art, QA and other team members to develop features, systems and tools for our projects.
- Lead, mentor and support a team of developers with the goal of creating clean and efficient C# code in a Unity environment, across numerous platforms.
- Identifying the technical needs of our projects and giving technical oversight and direct support to technical initiatives that underpin the company’s success
- Guiding technology and architecture choices that will be used and built upon throughout our projects
- Assisting our developers by conducting thorough code and architecture reviews, offering constructive feedback and support.
- Effectively prioritising workload, striking a balance between addressing daily issues and meeting ongoing project tasks and sprint goals.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of robust build systems, tooling and pipelines to streamline production processes.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in games, VR technology and programming practices.
- Facilitate communication between programming and other game development teams.
Ideally you will meet many of these criteria, though we do not expect every candidate to fulfil them all. If you have a mixture of the requirements, plus some of our “nice to haves”, we would love to talk to you.
- You have 7+ years of commercial games development experience, with two or more shipped titles (or extensive work on a live services title)
- Proven track record in leading programming teams in the gaming industry.
- You have strong knowledge of Unity and C# in industry, understanding the pros and cons of both the language and engine.
- Strong knowledge of VR best practices, hardware and multiplatform delivery including Oculus, HTC Vive, PSVR2.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills, and a proactive approach to spotting issues and organising or directly contributing to solutions
- A keen understanding of project management – including budgeting, scheduling, and resource allocation
- You are strongly proficient with Git, as this is the source control solution we use.
- You have excellent verbal and communication skills in English
- You are strongly engaged with the team and enjoy helping out, mentoring and sharing your knowledge
- You are able to manage your own time and work proactively
- Understanding and keeping abreast of industry trends and developments
- You are willing to embrace all aspects of game development, from gameplay features to the development of tools that form the backbone of the development process.
- You are willing to venture outside your comfort zone and actively seek opportunities to learn and grow.
- You have knowledge of CI/CD systems, how they can be beneficial to the wider pipeline and how to maintain and extend them
- Familiarity with calling cloud APIs and a high level understanding of AWS (authoring not required).
- Experience with multiplayer solutions and concepts (ie Photon,Unity Netcode, etc)
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience in the recruitment process and an understanding of career management, to actively contribute to the development and wellbeing of our team
- You have worked in teams on several full-lifecycle titles
- You have Mobile game development experience
- You have knowledge of optimisation techniques for console, pc and mobile games (for example, a strong familiarity with the Unity Profiler)
- You have knowledge of other languages such as C++, Lua and Python
- You have knowledge of Audio SDKs such as FMOD
- You have experience working with Animation Systems and tooling
- You have knowledge of platform requirements (XRs/TRCs/Lotcheck/VRCs)
- You have knowledge of Shaders (selection, application, development)
- Salary £65K
- Remote-first Studio
- Unlimited holidays
- Monthly well-being benefit scheme
- Regular team social events & studio summits
- Working alongside a friendly, flexible, and highly talented team
- Opportunity to work on big-name IPs
To tell better stories and create inclusive experiences we welcome everyone, especially from under-represented people in our industry whose stories aren’t told often enough. Our research has suggested that sometimes people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to roles unless they meet every single listed requirement. At Saltwater Games we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive working environment, who you are will always deserve our consideration and recognition, and your application is welcome.