Senior Editor – Licensed Products
Reporting to Managing Editor
Packt is a global, technical learning publisher with a turnover of £23m and over 400 employees based across the globe, primarily in India and the UK. Principally serving B2C customers across the world, its major clients also include Microsoft, IBM, and Oracle.
We are a leading publisher of technical learning content with the ability to publish content on new and emerging tech faster than any other publisher in the world. Our mission is to increase the shared value of deep tech knowledge. We are tech content engineers, and we work with some of the most interesting technical minds and ground-breaking creators on the planet. For more details, see www.packt.com
About the Licensing Team
The licensing team is a part of the Packt Partnership team. Unlike the other teams in Packt, where the content is developed in-house, the licensing team’s focus is to scout for high-quality content, which is self-published by authors, check if the content aligns with Packt’s standards, make amendments and improvements to the content (as required), and publish them to Packt customers, and its channel partners.
Traditionally, the licensing team has focused on licensing quality video courses from high-profile instructors. This role aims to extend our licensing proposition to new licensed products including, but not limited to, books, certification practice questions, and audiobooks:
- Books: These are books licensed from self-published authors to distribute to Packt’s vast distribution network. These books ensure that we give our readers access to a wider variety of authors and their books.
- Certification Practice Questions: This product is a compilation of questions that a customer can purchase to prepare for IT certifications. They directly mirror the types of questions aspirants will face when they come to take their exams.
- Audio Books: These are audio recordings of technical books, or technical content.
A Senior Editor (SE) is responsible for ensuring that the products published by the licensing team are of optimal quality and stand the best chance of earning revenue.
The day-to-day activities will involve:
- Empowering the Development Editors (DEs): The SE is responsible for ensuring that training is provided to the DEs not only when they join the team, but also at regular intervals, to ensure that problem areas (if any) are being addressed. The SE is also responsible for undertaking training in cases where the quality guidelines are renewed/amended and changes in editorial processes are to be implemented.
- Quality Management: The SE is responsible for the quality management of the product, process adherence throughout the publishing process, and evaluating DEs’ editorial and process work.
- Benchmarking the editors: The SE is responsible for benchmarking the performance of the editors. Not only is a regular scorecard provided, but any major issues highlighted at this stage are directly picked up as training needs (see #1).
- Documentation: The SE, in collaboration with the Managing Editor, is also responsible for creating the quality metrics, training documents, and other assets that help in the smooth functioning licensing process.
- New Product Development: Work with the Managing Editor to conceptualize, plan, document, execute, and manage editorial processes and strategies for new product tests and consolidation. The SE will be expected to create training materials and plans for DEs as well.
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent editorial capabilities backed by 4+ years of editorial experience
- Excellent research skills
- Possesses a general understanding of technical concepts and industry trends
- Content structuring and technical editing skills
- An understanding of pedagogy
- Ability to give effective feedback and get the best out of authors and DEs
- Critical thinking and a customer-focused approach at work
- Excellent time management and planning skills
- Excellent communication skills
Good to have:
- A qualification or experience in IT, Computer Science, or Computer Administration
- Good Microsoft Office skills
- Inclination towards data analysis
- Experience with training and mentoring individuals
- Copy-editing experience
- Inclination towards fast and continuous learning and upskilling
Why work at Packt?
We recognize how important our people are and acknowledge and support the things that are important to them. We focus on the full team member experience. We aim to create a positive working environment that supports personal and collective development – where our people can not only grow their skill sets, continuously challenge themselves, and develop their careers, but also work together as a team and with our customers.
We try to achieve this by:
- Ensuring a positive working environment for all team members, supportive of flexible and remote work.
- Supporting individual development through growth opportunities and internal mobility.
- Encouraging social collaboration within teams and communities and knowledge-sharing.
- Fostering a culture that supports a healthy work-life balance.
We seek to achieve this by:
- Providing a broad range of benefits and initiatives.
- Advocating a healthy lifestyle where wellbeing is seen as an essential responsibility.
- Celebrating success stories and encouraging peer-to-peer recognition.
- Fostering a culture of self-development.
- Providing a work environment where the best idea wins, and challenge is encouraged.
You will also have access to a range of flexible benefits that are designed to help you make the most of your time with us.
- Bonus scheme
- 25 days’ holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Flexible hours: choose how, when and where you work
Gross Salary – Upto 85K per month (skills and/or experience dependent)