R&D Research Engineer – Compositional ML
R&D Research Scientist – Compositional Active Inference
100% Remote – EU and United Kingdom only
Who we are:
VERSES is a cognitive computing company building next-generation intelligent software systems. Our flagship product, Genius™ is modeled after the Wisdom and Genius of Nature. We are a distributed, diverse, and inclusive workforce that aspires to do our best work on important problems with exceptional people and we value: AUDACITY, ASSERTIVENESS, ALIGNMENT, ACCOUNTABILITY, ABUNDANCE & AWESOMENESS.
Make an Impact
VERSES wishes to engage a Research Scientist to join our R&D team.
This role will contribute to our company’s vision to construct a globally coherent ecosystem of intelligent agents. You will form part of our Theory Lab, in synergy with our current work on compositional systems and statistics, and with regular interaction with our Machine Learning Lab. The particular focus will be on using tools from category theory to understand how agents learn dynamical models of their world, how they use these models to act in the world, and how agents may align together to form cooperative ‘meta-agents’. The results from this work will be used to inform the real-world engineering of beneficial artificial agents.
- Develop and publish novel mathematics, with the option to engage also in computer implementation
- Collaborate with leading researchers in active inference and cybernetics
- Work on topics including compositional approximate inference and deep learning, active inference, structure learning, dynamical systems theory, cybernetics, sheaf/topos theory
- Assist in the translation of mathematical developments to real-world systems
- Distil and present your work to our company leaders on a regular basis.
- Company will provide Source Materials including research, patents, white papers, presentations, illustrations, and reference examples and this role will review, comment, analyze and re-use for the project
- You may work with others in the scientific or research community to assist them in their research.
- This role contributes to specific lines of development and innovation work, to help others who are accountable for product development to implement and operationalize research results.
Great to Haves
- Demonstrate publications either in applied category theory, or making use of categorical or compositional methods in machine learning, statistics, or physics
- Advanced degree in a mathematical field, such as mathematics, computer science, computational statistics, physics, computational neuroscience
- Experience with software engineering, particularly in machine learning, statistics, or scientific computing, with knowledge of Julia or Python
- Fluency in communicating results to both highly technical and less technical audiences
- Sympathetic to Bayesian approaches in machine learning
- Must have a Masters or PhD degree, or be pursuing doctoral studies.
- Familiarity with active inference and the free energy principle
- Experience with sheaf theory or topos theory
- Knowledge of higher category theory and functorial semantics
Aside from being a culture of highly-engaged, collegial, and energized people, at VERSES, we offer:
- Global virtual work environment (although some positions may need to operate within specific time zones)
- Financial and Mental Health wellness programs
- Paid time off includes: responsible time off policy (RTO), sick time complying with all State and Federal guidelines, and of course… Company recognized Holidays!!
- Vested interest in developing and growing our people
- Generous total rewards package which includes equitable base pay, potential for bonuses, equities.
- The pay range for our roles are market based and commensurate with multiple factors. Actual compensation within the range will be dependent upon the individual’s skills, experience, qualifications, and applicable laws; for US based individuals; geographically adjusted as appropriate to location.
These statements are meant to ensure that for positions in the U.S., for positions based in San Francisco, consideration of qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records will be in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. For positions in Colorado, and New York City, the statements are to comply with applicable laws.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
At VERSES, we value diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. VERSES will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Recruitment Agencies or IT Outsourcing
Thank you for your interest in wanting to help out as a recruitment or IT outsourcing partner. We currently are not accepting additional help from external vendors. No agencies please.
VERSES is unable to offer visa sponsorship or assistance with work authorization for this position. Only candidates authorized to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship will be considered.