Principal Electrical Engineer for Industrial Product Development
At Skyven Technologies, we have developed a revolutionary heat pump technology to decarbonize industrial heat. We sell this technology through an innovative Energy-as-a-Service model that saves our customers money with no capital outlay. We are hiring a Senior or Principal Electrical engineer to be part of the Product Development team. This is an opportunity to make a real impact on the world and be well-compensated for it.
Industrial heat is responsible for roughly 20% of global CO2 emissions. That’s roughly equivalent to emissions generated by all transportation (including land, sea, and air) and is a compelling business opportunity – it will take an estimated $3.7 trillion in capital investment to decarbonize the sector by 2050. Skyven Technologies has proprietary technology, an excellent customer base, and is positioned at the cutting edge of industrial heat decarbonization.
About the Role
In this role, initially you’ll be transforming high-level solution architecture components and material specifications into completely detailed technical specifications for our supply chain and design engineers to perform sourcing and design activities. Then, you’ll be working alongside the rest of our experienced design engineers to create execution methods that productize the detailed engineering deliverables enabling delivery of steam generating heat pump technology to a wide range of applications in our customer pipeline. You would be joining our new product development team at the beginning of the detailed engineering phase of the product development lifecycle and would experience a high-energy environment that will rapidly progress through detailed engineering and into pre-manufacturing.
- Create preliminary components technical specifications for a variety of electrical and electromechanical components. Component scope includes but is not limited to electric motors and VFDs in the range of single hp up to 4000hp, actuators for large and small bore piping systems, control system instrumentation, flowmeters, switchgear, enclosures and 15kv class transformers.
- Finalize component and material specifications based on supplier technical feedback.
- Respond to request-for-information (RFI) from third-party suppliers and internal teams.
- Create specifications for commodity material to be used in fabrication or construction. This would include but is not limited to wires, cables, conduit, and cable trays.
- Work with the Solutions Architecture and sourcing teams to resolve technical gaps in specifications.
- Identify gaps in engineering specification plan and propose new specifications or refinements to resolve those gaps.
- Develop documentation related to specification and detailed design processes to create standard operating procedures (SOP).
- Identify and apply relevant national, state, and local electrical codes to specification and design engineering work.
- Create internal tools and methodology to enable scalable delivery for the creation of detailed design engineering deliverables.
- Create detailed design deliverables via CAD and other methods.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or related subspecialty of Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 7 to 15 years of post-graduate work experience in the detailed engineering of projects or products in the industrial or very large commercial space.
- Must have a minimum of 7 years of work experience performing detailed engineering of power systems up to 15kV class equipment with substantial demonstrated past project experience with 480V and 4160V equipment and distribution on systems typically between 2MW and 20MW power input.
- In addition to electrical engineering experience described above must have demonstrated design experience in at least ONE additional domain of mechanical engineering, controls hardware engineering, PLC software engineering using FBD and ST, steel structural engineering, or a relevant engineering subspeciality.
- Able to think and operate in a framework where engineering tools and deliverables are created in a productized mindset that maximizes reuse and minimize engineering manhours after initial creation.
- Able to create, review, and critique electrical drawings and diagrams (SLD, riser, wiring, etc.) for low and medium voltage power and control systems.
- Able to rapidly transform high level solution architecture process engineering requirements into technical specification documents for components and materials detailed and robust enough to enable sourcing to produce request for quote (RFQ) packages and third-party vendors to determine if they can meet Skyven’s technical requirements in detail.
- Excels at communicating technical and commercial details across a broad range of internal and external disciplines.
- Able to adapt to challenges arising from working in new product development environment, and able to make forward progress even when full technical detail is lacking.
- Able to utilize Google Suite, Slack, and a variety of cloud-based platforms to track and execute day-to-day work.
- Able to provide accurate estimates for man hours and finish dates on your own specification tasks for the project manager to merge into master product development schedules.
- Able to technically understand in the areas of engineering including mechanical, piping, civil, structural, process, electrical, and controls for the components and materials you are specifying.
- Very detail-oriented, both with regards to technical information and processes.
- Substantial CAD drafting experience in either AutoCAD or SolidWorks product suite.
- Previous industrial new product development experience.
- Component and material sourcing experience.
- Supply chain management experience.
- Prior experience setting up and implementing new MRPII, PDM, or PLM system.
- Able to perform object-oriented programming at an intermediate level in a common language or PLC platform.
- Able to setup, manipulate, and apply SQL database for daily work on engineering and CAD.
- Adept with using MATLAB as either a daily engineering tool or capable of creating new engineering tools in MATLAB.
- Prior engineering experience for industrial steam or large process water systems.
- Flexible PTO
- Stock options
- Medical, dental, and 401k benefits
- Salary range: $120,000 to $150,000
- We are a remote-first organization; this role is fully remote.
- The candidate must be currently based in and have the right to work in the United States.