People Operations Officer- UK & Ireland
Location: This will be a hybrid role, based largely remotely. Candidates should be able to travel to a Generation Hub offices (London, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds) and willing to travel for in-office days and events (1-4 days per month on average).
Salary: £28,000- £30,000 p.a. FTE ( based on experience). You will be paid pro-rata as per your working hours
Contract: Part time; 0.5 FTE- 20 hours a week
Working pattern: 4 hours per day- Monday to Friday is desirable; Open to other working patterns
ABOUT THE ROLE
Join us in making a difference at Generation, where your contributions to HR Operations will play a pivotal role in shaping the success of our team members throughout their journey!
As a key member of the Generation UK & I central team, reporting to the Head of People, your role is vital in ensuring the seamless execution of HR Operations throughout the entire lifecycle of Generation team members.
This position encompasses delivering seamless pre-onboarding processes, maintaining accurate employee documentation, ensuring training compliance, and managing HR systems and data. Additionally, this role provides the opportunity to support key People initiatives, particularly focusing on Wellbeing and Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI).
This is a part-time position and we are open to discussing working patterns that would help our candidates manage their personal commitments.
Generation acknowledges the duty of care to safeguard, protect, and promote the welfare of staff and learners and is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, and government guidance and complies with best practice. All our staff in the UK are required to undergo a DBS check
Generation’s mission is to train, coach and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible to them.
We are a UK registered charity, founded by McKinsey and Company, delivering tailored programmes to recruit, train and place unemployed people into work. Through our unique approach, we also solve a wide range of employer challenges—skilled talent shortages, poor job performance, lack of diversity, and high turnover.
Generation launched globally in 2015, and has grown quickly to become the world’s largest demand-led employment initiative. We have placed over 100,000 people into roles (many of whom have suffered some form of adversity), working with over 11,000 employer partners to date across 17 countries and 46 professions.
Generation UK&I is currently running training to employment programmes in the West Midlands, London, Manchester, Ireland, Leeds and Scotland. We run a range of tech boot camps as well as programmes supporting people into healthcare and the Green sector.
By joining Generation UK&I now, you will become part of an organisation which is determined to play its part in addressing both of these challenges for people in the UK and Ireland over the coming months and years.
Find out more at www.generation.org
Here our colleagues share what they love about working in Generation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpKpl3PR-yo
In this role, you will have two key responsibilities,
- HR Operations: (80% of the role)
- Deliver end-to-end execution of HR Operations, ensuring a smooth and efficient experience for Generation team members.
- Manage pre-onboarding processes, ensuring accuracy and timeliness in tasks such as offer letters, employment contracts, and pre-onboarding checks including DBS, Right to Work, and Reference Checks.
- Produce employee lifecycle-related letters, including variation letters and promotion letters, and maintain up to date employee documentation.
- Ensure training compliance of mandatory organisational policies and training, both in onboarding and refresher training programs.
- Collaborate with the outsourced payroll provider for processing of monthly payroll. This includes preparation of payroll inputs and reviewing monthly payroll reports, as required.
- Maintain Generation UK & I’s HRIS (BreatheHR) to ensure the continuous availability of up-to-date and accurate information throughout the employee lifecycle.
- Overseeing the maintenance of various HR and People systems and platforms such as Workable, 15Five, safer recruitment documentation platform.
2. HR initiatives implementation support and project work (20% of the role)
- Provide implementation support in upcoming HR initiatives, particularly in the areas of Wellbeing and Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI).
- Provide valuable support for process improvement projects aimed at maximising the efficiency of HR platforms and systems.
- Ambition to build a career in Human Resources.
- Resourcefulness demonstrated through creative thinking to enhance work delivery.
- Organised and methodical in your approach, understanding the criticality of managing employee data, documentation, and core processes effectively.
- You love working on Excel/ Google docs!
- Demonstrate good judgment – the ability to work independently and react calmly and logically when faced with issues.
- Passion for the cause – a demonstrated interest and motivation to support those from disadvantaged backgrounds and a drive to maximize diversity in the workplace.
- A commitment to continuous learning.
To succeed in this role, we believe you will require experience and skills:
- Previous experience in People operations or a School/College Business Manager role
- A basic understanding of UK employment law and knowledge of pre onboarding processes.
- Proficiency in Google Suite, particularly Google Docs.
- Tech-savvy with the ability to swiftly navigate new tech platforms and systems. Previous exposure to any HRIS will be useful.
- CIPD Qualification or an intent to pursue CIPD qualification (we will support you to gain the qualification through our training budget!)
At Generation, we’re changing the lives of many individuals, and that in itself gets us out of bed! Here are a few other benefits you’ll experience working with the UK & I team:
- Purpose and social impact in the heart of your work;
- Opportunity to make your mark – you’ll have a lot of autonomy to bring the Generation blueprint to life in a way that makes sense for your region;
- Opportunity to get involved with a range of activities and varied projects – we’re a small team, so there are lots of opportunities to get involved in projects across the whole organisation;
- We offer Flexible and remote working to accommodate everyone’s preferred working pattern/preferences and unique needs.;
- WFH set up offer of support of £300 to help you make your working-from-home setup comfortable and efficient;
- Professional Development is a priority for Generation and employees and you can access to up to £1,000 towards your learning & development per year. This support is accompanied by up to 5 days of training days/ study leave per year to enable your development activities.
- CV and details upload – cover letter not required, expected or evaluated and may not be read (applications reviewed on a rolling basis). Closing date is 29 February 2024.
- A set of written answer questions in the application form
- A pre-recorded video interview at a time of your choosing. Only candidates who have successfully completed this assessment will be considered for the next stage.
- A live video interview ( which will include a small task in the interview)
- DBS check on offer
A fair chance
Every role at Generation is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other aspect that makes you, well, you.
We believe that the more diverse we are the better we become. More than just encouraging your application, we’re committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. We go further together. It’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission. We open our doors to those who share this mindset.
We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates from marginalised groups. We will assess applications on a rolling basis and close this posting as soon as we have found the right candidate. We look forward to hearing from you.