Intermediate Backend Engineer
Our mission and where you fit in
Our ambitious team at Employment Hero is on a quest to transform employment, making it easier and more valuable for everyone. Our world-class software is the easiest way for small and medium-sized businesses to manage HR, payroll, employee engagement, and benefits.
Since our inception in 2014, we’ve had enormous growth (100% YoY), now serving 300,000 businesses globally, with 2 million+ users on the platform, reaching unicorn status in 2022 – and we have no plans of slowing down.
There’s never been a more exciting time to join one of the fastest-growing global unicorns, so let’s see if we could be a match!
In your role, you’ll be focused on…
As a growing team, we need innovative and passionate Intermediate Full-Stack Software Development Engineers to join our squads who will be a vital part of our engineering team, responsible for developing product features and collaborating with colleagues in design, product, and engineering. You will take ownership of writing automated tests for your production codes and work with cutting-edge technologies, focusing on tech stacks such as Ruby on Rails and ReactJS. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work on a diverse range of products and features.
- Develop and maintain both frontend and backend components of web applications using Ruby and ReactJS
- Collaborate with product team to gather requirements and translate them into technical solutions
- Contribute to the technical strategy and delivery of your squad and take part in scrum ceremonies.
- Ensure high-quality code by conducting testing and code reviews, both for yourself and your colleagues.
- Share your knowledge and mentor Junior Developers within your squad.
- Collaborate with highly respected Software Development Engineers in a high performing and supportive environment.
- Demonstrate your passion for working on highly complex and technically challenging development projects.
- Enhance legacy features for our award-winning HR tech platform.
You’re the hero we’re looking for if:
- Over 3 years of experience in Software Development, with a focus on Server-side and RESTful API Development and integration.
- Proficiency in Ruby programming language and Ruby frameworks such as Rails or Sinatra, OR expertise in other OOP languages such as Python, TypeScript, Golang, Java etc. Willingness to learn our tech stack and collaborate with our team is essential.
- Demonstrated experience implementing, maintaining and deploying full-stack web technologies
- Strong skills in Object-Oriented Programming (OOP).
- Experience in translating design wireframes into functioning UI components
- Strong understanding of standard Software Engineering processes, Testing, and Agile methodology
- A team player that always puts colleagues ahead of yourself and has a highly adaptable and versatile approach to work
- You are passionate about learning and sharing your knowledge, and not afraid to challenge your peers, but also welcome being challenged
- English language abilities, both written and verbal – you’ll be working with people across the world, including from Australia
It’ll be great, but not essential, if you also have experience with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science of Software Engineering or an equivalent
- You have experience in mentoring team mates, or even leading an Engineering squad
- Experience in developing highly modular mobile applications and mobile application performance tuning
- Experience in functional programming
- Familiarity with AWS tooling and environments, including EC2, Kubernetes, etc.
Experience is important, but for us the biggest measure of success is people who can live and breathe our values. Show us what you can bring to the table, and we’ll empower you to let your talents shine.
Feel supported every step of the way
Whether it’s your first remote role, or you’re already a seasoned professional, it always helps to know you’re in a good company. With 220+ heroes in Vietnam and 800+ heroes globally – there’s always someone willing to lend a helping hand.
But don’t just take it from us, hear from your local heroes: Thao Ta, Head of People and Culture & Hung Pham, Group Engineer Manager
We can make you wow-to-proud and enjoy our exclusive perks and benefits at Employment Hero, including:
- Remote-first and flexible working arrangements
- 20 days Annual Leave, plus VN Public Holidays
- Leisure Rules Days – an extra day to take leave whenever you are simply not feeling very “workie”
- A generous budget to spend on setting up your home office or WFH station
- $500 USD for books, conferences & courses for your professional development plan
- $500 USD for English learning courses
- VND 80,000 budget for lunch for day-in-office
- Best-in-class hardware, tools and tech – choose either a MacBook Pro or Windows laptop
- Premium Healthcare Insurance Program for you and your loved ones.
- Sports club funded by Employment Hero
- Monthly get-together event in the office for team bonding
- Learning and development opportunities, including MCI courses, Go1 Learning, external study policy and tailor-made individual development plans
- Reward and recognition programs – because great work should be recognised and rewarded
- Including Lightning Award for delivering quality work at speed and Values Champion Awards
- Annual Global Gathering to get to know your global colleagues – we’ve been to Thailand, Da Nang (Vietnam) and are excited to meet in Bali in September 2024
- Employee Share Option Program (ESOP): be an owner of Employment Hero
We celebrate diverse perspectives and experiences, and we invite people of all backgrounds and identities to apply for this position. If you require any adjustments throughout the recruitment process, simply let us know.
At Employment Hero, we’re not just working remotely; we’re integrating flexibility and global reach into the heart of our daily operations.
We also recognise the value of face-to-face connection, and organise local and global gatherings throughout the year to celebrate our wins and make meaningful connections with our colleagues.
And for those who enjoy working from an office, we also have a Hero Hub in HCMC, which you’re welcome to work from whenever you like.
Work your way
Every Hero has unique powers. Bound by a common purpose and trust, we encourage each other to work in ways that allow us to bring our best selves to work.
Are we a match ?
Please apply direction below, if you are a match, then you can expect next steps below:
- Step 1: You will join an at-home test round.
- Step 2: Then, you will have a screening call with our Talent Acquisition Team, where we will go through your overall working experience, your motivation, and expectations. This is also an opportunity for you to clarify any information you need about the job and Employment Hero.
- Step 3: An online interview with our Engineering Team, where we will dive deep into your culture fit and professional expertise.”
Not exactly the right fit for you?
If you’re excited about Employment Hero, but this role is not the one for you, we encourage you to explore our careers page, packed with many more great opportunities.
Know someone who would be a great fit? Feel free to share the role with your network !