Incubation Engineer, AI
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
Incubation Engineers are experienced Software Engineers with deep knowledge in a specific domain that can research, experiment, iterate and ship a new solution to the market. The goal of an Incubation Engineer is to reach a viable level of maturity in their respective area within the GitLab project. GitLab in recent months has released GitLab Duo, our suite of AI capabilities to power customer workflows and we’re looking for an engineer to specifically focus on building new machine learning, large language models and AI-based features for our millions of users.
What you’ll do
- Develop features and improvements in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Work closely with company leadership to guide GitLab’s entry into new markets
- Interact with community members and customers to help drive initial user adoption
- Develop strategies for scaling beyond the Incubation phase
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment
- Regularly demonstrate progress to stakeholders
What you’ll bring
- You bring strong technical skills and an ability to work across backend, frontend, and infrastructure management code. Experience with Ruby on Rails is mandatory given GitLab’s current tech stack (Python, Go and/or Vue are nice to have)
- Have hands-on experience working with large language models and their toolkits
- Have experience in building and shipping new products to market
- You demonstrate a desire to work in a “startup within a startup” with a broad scope of ownership and a high degree of autonomy
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and changing direction based on stakeholder feedback and market conditions
- You understand the competitive landscape of AI and the market opportunities in this area
- You have a background in building scalable services
About the team
You’ll be joining a team of 5 Incubation Engineers who are responsible for building and shipping new GitLab products and we take advantage of this through our Single-engineer Group model which encompasses all of product development (product management, engineering, design, and quality) at the smallest scale. You will interact and collaborate with other teams but the aim is to ship fast and often to bring brand new features to our customers.
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.