Development Editor – Certification
Reporting to – Editorial Director – Certification
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt’s mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done – whether that’s specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
We care about the quality of our learning products, and we think of our authors as the most valuable part of our business. We work with our authors to coax out of them the best writing they can produce. We consult with technical experts on book proposals and manuscripts, and we use multiple reviewers in various stages of preparing a manuscript. The abilities of each author are nurtured to encourage him or her to write a first-rate learning product. For more details, see www.packt.com
About the role
Packt Publishing seeks Developmental Editors to work directly with authors to create high-quality manuscripts, multiple-choice questions and other assets related to training products for official IT Certifications. Ideal candidates are critical thinkers who skillfully identify and articulate weaknesses in content organization and writing, adopt a coaching/mentoring role with authors, firmly but diplomatically communicate with authors, work both independently and in a distributed team environment, and reliably meet deadlines. Candidates must possess passing knowledge of software concepts and technologies as well as an awareness of pedagogical and testing theories.
- Coach authors on techniques for how to teach difficult or important concepts
- Identify opportunities for authors to improve organization, presentation, clarity, and value to the product’s intended audience
- Manage the development process so that authors are completing manuscripts/chapters and other assets by due dates
- Ensure the technical accuracy of published code across all platforms.
- Provide project status and content assessment to Senior Editors, Project Managers and other Packt staff
- Contribute to the ongoing assessment and improvement of editorial procedures and standards
- Work with internal and external reviewers at various staged to improve the learning quality of the product and to ensure that the final product fits the purpose (is technically-accurate, error-free, and grammatically accurate)
- Work to understand the needs of the audience
- Undertake peer reviews on titles when required.
Must have requirements
- General understanding of technical concepts, software development, and current industry trends
- 1+ years previous substantive editing experience
- Strong project- and time-management skills
- Excellent organization and multitasking skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Adobe Acrobat, and other tools required in an online environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; comfortable communicating via email, Skype, Teams, and phone
- Must have remote office setup (computer, Internet and email access, reliable phone line)
Why work at Packt?
We recognize how important our people are and acknowledge and support the things that are important to them. We focus on the full team member’s experience. We aim to create a positive working environment that supports personal and collective development – where our people can not only grow their skill sets, continuously challenge themselves, and develop their careers, but also work together as a team and with our customers.
We try to achieve this by:
- Ensuring a positive working environment for all team members, supportive of flexible and remote work.
- Supporting individual development through growth opportunities and internal mobility.
- Encouraging social collaboration within teams and communities and knowledge-sharing.
- Fostering a culture that supports a healthy work-life balance.
We seek to achieve this by:
- Providing a broad range of benefits and initiatives.
- Advocating a healthy lifestyle where wellbeing is seen as an essential responsibility.
- Celebrating success stories and encouraging peer-to-peer recognition.
- Fostering a culture of self-development.
- Providing a work environment where the best idea wins, and challenges are encouraged.
You will also have access to a range of flexible benefits that are designed to help you make the most of your time with us.
- Bonus scheme
- 5 days working
- Flexible hours: choose how, when and where you work
Salary Range – Upto INR 35K – 60K Gross per month