Full-time, Remote, Exempt
About Rewiring America
Rewiring America is the leading electrification nonprofit, focused on electrifying our homes, businesses, and communities. We develop accessible, actionable data and tools, and build coalitions and partnerships to make going electric easier for households and communities. Rewiring America helps Americans save money, tackle nationwide emissions goals, improve health, and build the next generation of the clean energy workforce. We believe in an abundant, flourishing, climate-safe future, and know that, together, we can realize one.
Rewiring America is growing rapidly. We are building a diverse and dynamic Data Science team with the aim of building tools that precisely and accurately estimate the upfront and ongoing costs and benefits of electrifying the fossil fuel machines in our homes. The Data Science team is developing the insights that will help households and communities understand their electrification opportunities. This role will be integral to scaling our efforts and enabling them to be available to our Product, Engineering, and Research teams as well as to our external partners.
In this newly created position, you will scale complex energy models and data pipelines to address household and community barriers to electrification. You will also provide technical guidance, developing tools and best practices to enhance the capabilities of the Data Science team. The opportunity is immense: your work will help low income and disadvantaged communities benefit from electrification by connecting households to billions of dollars in existing government and private funds, help secure below market rate financing, and determine the optimal mix of upgrades for a home to reduce energy bills.
This role reports to the Senior Director of Data Science.
What You’ll Do
- Efficiently scale and serve computationally expensive models to enable unprecedented views of household energy use and the benefits of electrification.
- Write and orchestrate efficient and robust data pipelines that identify electrification opportunities, costs, and benefits.
- Build the data infrastructure to intake and consolidate data from 3rd party APIs, public data, our partners, and directly from users and transform it for our data pipelines and models.
- Establish software engineering best practices and for our data science team and build tools that increase stability and productivity.
- Contribute open source software and data that lower barriers to electrification.
- Keep excellent documentation of code and data sources. Implement data governance strategies to build trust in our data and insights.
- Deliver actionable recommendations to inform data infrastructure, engineering, product, and partnerships.
- Continuously challenge your understanding and be prepared to absorb and integrate new perspectives.
Who You Are
As a Rewiring America Data Engineer, you will be driven by a belief in and commitment to our values, vision, and mission.
We hope to see a track record demonstrating humility, curiosity, energy, and a learner’s mindset. We hope you have elected to explore domains adjacent to your expertise, and have experience studying both the forest and the trees. We are looking for a highly organized and driven individual, someone who recognizes that the stakes of what we are trying to accomplish depend on a high-functioning, passionate, and trusting team.
As a Data Engineer, you will play a critical role in Rewiring America as we try to make electrification the market default across the country, joining a fast-paced team that operates with a sense of urgency. In a short time, we have established ourselves as a trusted, inspiring voice in the decarbonization space and begun making tangible headway towards our climate goals. In this role you would continue driving this progress, by scaling our data infrastructure with self-discipline and excitement to connect people and communities to their electric futures.
We are looking for the following Core and Preferred qualifications:
- Commitment to the mission, policies, and goals of Rewiring America.
- Excellent data engineering skills, including experience with modern data infrastructure (Spark, Databricks, dbt, pub-sub, cloud services, workflow orchestration, etc.).
- Proven application development skills, including experience with relevant languages (Python, SQL, Scala, Ruby etc.).
- Excellent communication ability across multiple formats (e.g., code documentation, memos, reports, and presentations) with an ability to understand the needs of your audience and deliver information in a concise and compelling manner.
- Experience improving data pipeline performance and managing costs.
- Track record of managing independent software development projects, with a portfolio to prove it.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, science, engineering, economics, or social science or equivalent experience.
- Domain knowledge in climate, energy, environmental justice, public health, building science, utilities, and/or electrification.
- Experience deploying and monitoring machine learning models and serving them via REST APIs.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, Looker)
The salary range for this position is $130,000 – $160,000 USD, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 160 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year (15 days during Presidential and Congressional elections). We have an office closure between Christmas and New Year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment. Regular, full-time employees and part-time employees are eligible to take up to sixteen weeks of parental leave, in all cases related to birth, adoption, or foster care starting from the first day of employment. We offer access to professional development resources.
Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Rewiring America values diversity in all its forms and is committed to inclusive and transparent recruitment, hiring, and promotion processes. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rewiring America is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To apply or nominate a candidate, please submit an application and resume via the Rewiring America page at Workable.This position is open until filled, and we are moving quickly to fill this position — apply as soon as possible. Candidate review and phone screens begin immediately and will be conducted throughout the search period.
Windward participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the United States. Job candidates and employees authorized to work may not be discriminated against on the basis of national origin or citizenship status.