Character Artist – Games
Saltwater Games is a creative alliance of studios dedicated to delivering unparalleled entertainment experiences that ignite the imagination of our audiences. Our passionate teams of creative professionals consist of industry veterans from renowned studios such as PlayStation, Codemasters, Sumo Digital, Interior Night and Mediatonic who are working on some exciting VR, multiplayer and mobile titles. At SWG we follow some key values:
- We are optimistic & brave
- We are honest & open
- We take ownership & responsibility
As an experienced Character Artist, you will play a vital role in the team, producing high-quality character models for multi-platform projects and ensuring that the work integrates with the technical constraints and artistic direction.
You will work on exciting projects within an experienced team with a proven record of delivering quality products. The ideal candidate should demonstrate an exceptional eye for detail, creative flair, and a drive for excellence.
- Produce high-quality character models in their entirety, respecting the concept art and animation technical constraints as closely as possible.
- Partner with creative leads to conceptualise and model characters and hard surface accessories based on original art and photographic reference.
- Become familiar with the character list and understand their actions and psychological aspects to create credible characters.
- Create additional character assets such as accessories, armour, weapons, etc.
- Provide primary models to programmers and animators so they can integrate them into the engine and test against gameplay intentions.
- Modify textures after engine integration to optimise quality.
- Deliver clean and optimised low polygon models and efficient UV layouts according to the project’s technical requirements.
- Implement and incorporate feedback from the Directors and Leads into your work.
- Comfortable working with potential outsourcers where needed
Ideally you will meet many of these criteria, though we do not expect every candidate to fulfill them all. If you have a mixture of the requirements, plus some of our “nice to haves”, we would love to talk to you.
- You have 2+ years of commercial games experience, with two or more shipped titles
- Excellent character modeling and PBR texturing skills, with a strong portfolio showcasing your expertise in these areas.
- Excellent knowledge of industry-standard modeling software such as 3D Studio Max and Maya.
- Knowledge of 3D sculpting packages such as Zbrush or Mudbox.
- Knowledge of creating and implementing entire PBR assets in Unity.
- Proficiency in Photoshop and other industry-standard 2D software.
- Familiarity with industry-standard source control software, e.g. Git.
- A demonstrable knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and topology that accommodates good deformation when animated.
- Openness to receive and quickly implement constructive feedback on ideas.
- Proven ability to follow and maintain the art vision/brief set out by the Art Director.
- Experience with source control programs like SourceTree and Git and tracking tools like ClickUp and Confluence.
- Actively participate in milestone planning.
- Review work from external partners and provide detailed feedback where applicable.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Proven experience in rigging, preferably in Maya, using Advanced Skeleton or similar tools.
- Solid understanding of both hand-keyed and motion-capture data, with the ability to work with various animation inputs.
- Salary £30 – £35K
- Remote-first Studio
- Unlimited holidays
- Monthly well-being benefit scheme
- Regular team social events & studio summits
- Working alongside a friendly, flexible, and highly talented team
- Opportunity to work on big-name IPs
To tell better stories and create inclusive experiences we welcome everyone, especially from under-represented people in our industry whose stories aren’t told often enough. Our research has suggested that sometimes people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to roles unless they meet every single listed requirement. At Saltwater Games we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive working environment, who you are will always deserve our consideration and recognition, and your application is welcome.