Call for CVs: Technical Proposal Writer
LOCATION: Fully remote
McColm & Company (McCO) is a mission-driven and customer-focused consulting firm that equips change makers with the knowledge, skills, and insights they need to succeed in an increasingly complex world. McCO specializes in supporting U.S. federal customers with internationally and thematically focused portfolios by designing and delivering bespoke professional training programs, effective capacity building programs, and by providing highly specialized advisory and analysis expertise to decision makers.
McColm and Company seeks freelance Technical Writers who are interested in being part of a pool of proposal writers to provide critical technical writing and proposal development on proposals relevant to their technical area of expertise. Successful candidates will bring relevant and extensive U.S. Government proposal writing experience.
DESCRIPTION & REQUIREMENTS
Technical Proposal Writers will be contracted on a consultancy basis to support McCO to design and develop technical approaches related to professional training and capacity building, advisory and technical consulting, and research and analysis for specific opportunities (primarily funded by DOS, DOD, and DoI) in the areas of security, peacebuilding, and diplomacy; economic growth and trade; conservation, climate, and energy. Technical Writers will support the Business Development Unit by providing technical writing, quality assurance, and editing on assigned proposals. Candidates would enter into a long-term framework agreement with McCO, reporting to the Director of Business Development. Work authorization in the US is required.
Successful candidates must be active self-starters with strong writing, editing, communication, interpersonal, strategic thinking, and management skills. They will possess demonstrated experience in proposal and new business development according to Shipley procedures and the ability to deliver high quality work independently according to hard deadlines. Interested candidates may also be added to team proposals as part of the project delivery team. Successful candidates will possess advanced technical solution design skills, deep understanding of customer culture and business practices, and a demonstrated win rate.
- Attend key bid preparation meetings to support the identification of win themes and the development of key messages in the proposal narrative.
- Leverage deep customer knowledge and understanding to support the design of responsive technical solutions.
- Contribute to the workplan development in collaboration with bid managers.
- Write (either independently or as part of a team) clear, compelling and complete technical approaches that are compliant with bid requirements including evaluation criteria.
- Work with a variety of specialists across the organization to incorporate their input into the technical proposal ensuring they come across as a ‘one voice’ technical solution.
- Attend (or lead, when appropriate) color team reviews.Identify more appropriate content formats (e.g. infographics, diagrams) that help strengthening the bid readability.
- Write/support other proposal sections (Management Approach, Past Performance) as agreed according to specific contract and proposal requirements.
- Subject matter expertise in one of McCO’s 3 service areas: professional training and capacity building, advisory and technical consulting, and research and analysis.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a lead technical writer on winning bids for U.S. government clients, especially DOD, DOS and DOI.
- Demonstrated capability to successfully design innovative, practical, and viable technical solutions for federal proposals.
- Excellent ability to work flexibly as part of a team in a fast-paced environment with tight and fluctuating deadlines.
McColm & Company is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, gender identity or expression, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Due to the high volume of applications McCO receives and to ensure we comply with our internal hiring policies, we regret we are not able to respond to individual phone calls or emails regarding application status.